News and Videos
Khabib Nurmagomedov: If I don’t get a title shot next, ‘I won’t be fighting in UFC’
If Khabib Nurmagomedov doesn’t get his way, he may not be a UFC fighter much longer.
After a recent win over Michael Johnson at UFC 205, Nurmagomedov demanded a crack at the UFC lightweight championship, which was captured by Conor McGregor later that evening.
UFC 205 took place live from Madison Square Garden in New York City this past Saturday.
Nurmagomedov has called for a title shot in the past, but never in this manner before. The undefeated fighter was clearly frustrated in his post-fight interview, calling McGregor a “chicken” multiple times.
The Russian took to Twitter on Wednesday to reveal his plans to leave the UFC if he isn’t lined up to fight “The Notorious” for the 155-pound belt next.
McGregor revealed at the UFC 205 post-fight press conference that his girlfriend is expecting a baby in May 2017, so that may leave the two-division champion sidelined until the second half of next year.
Interim UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo recently threatened to leave the organization. He was unhappy with the UFC’s booking of McGregor vs. Eddie Alvarez and said that he could not trust UFC president Dana White anymore. He announced plans of retiring after White said he would not release the Brazilian from his contract, but has since changed his mind — he may not be hanging the gloves up after all.
Nurmagomedov (24-0) returned from a two-year layoff earlier this year against newcomer Darrell Horcher and picked up a stoppage win. He has a handful of notable wins under his belt, including a decision win over Rafael dos Anjos in 2013.